Thursday, January 17, 2008

God On Trial

Job wanted to put God on trial: “Oh! that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat! I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me. Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me. There the righteous might dispute with him; so should I be delivered for ever from my judge” (Job 23:3-7)

When Job confronted God, the all-loving Almighty babbled some mumbo jumbo which conveniently concealed his childish bet with his loyal Attorney General Ha-Satan (the wrongfully accused Satan). Job gave up, was blessed, and lived happily ever after.

The profound meaning of human suffering is thus fatally compromised, forever, for a cheap Hollywood ending whose target market mostly composes of mental teenagers.

Thousands of years later, a group of Jewish inmates in Auschwitz, on Rosh Hashanah, before their death, convened a beth din, a Jewish court of law, to put God on trial.

And they found God guilty.

No comments: